Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Piggy Flu

Morning.....The kids are back to school and sure enough I already have a cold! With Austin in High School and Taylor at College you would have thought that those days would be behind us? Three kids have already come down with Swine Flu in the 2 weeks that Austin has been back in school. And we have the University that started this week in town so that 26,000 more kids and their germs! Yikes!

Our state has been labeled "Swine Flu Central" I swear. I was on facebook minding my own business in "Farm Town" and when asked where I was from? I commented" Washington State", and sure enough someone pops up and say "oh, swine flu country"! Give me a break!

A cold is not a big deal normally, but because I have so many other "conditions", it can be serious. Denial is my prime survival tactic besides humor. They have not even come out with the flu shots yet, what's a girl to do? So, trying to remain calm is a job in itself. To be honest, I have so many things wrong with me that the this should not be number 1 in my head?

I was diagnosed with cancer 3 1/2 years ago. BUT, I am doing great! I have a rare (of course) cancer. It is called Retroperitoneal Liposarcoma. Located in deep in my belly, it was found inadvertently through a ct scan looking at a hernia. Luckily they found it, took out the tumor, and my right kidney (it was connected to) and surrounding tissue. No chemo or radiation because of its location, so it is a "wait and see" cancer. Yes, it is labeled a "chronic" cancer because it always comes back, but when and where no one knows. I feel fortunate.

Well....along with this came the removal of the right kidney which causes problems and somehow, someway my adrenals got screwed up and I now have Addison's Disease. It kicks my butt! Cancer is nothing so far...... I know, it is getting confusing....but bare with me. You have to live on Steroids with Addison's Disease, which is kind of walking a tightrope to stay on top of dosage and adapt to anything that throws it for a loop. No, I do not have big muscles and can not lift a small car, (different kind of steroids). BUT the steroids caused me to have Osteoporosis! Don't laugh although I probably am at this point. No Joke! Starts small and then just grows way out of porportion, like a bad marriage.

Back to the original topic (sorry, I got lost somewhere) if I get sick with something like the flu it screws up everything! I am like a chain reaction. One car hits one car, which hits one car and so on.... So the woman who hates to sit still and not do anything goes nuts. Seriously, i have a wood floor to install! How can I just lay here and rattle on, on my computer?

Ok, I could, knit, sew, iron (just kidding) LOL, (good one huh?). But instead I will drink plenty of fluids, rest, watch some goofy TV show that teaches me to "Design on a Dime" for 4 million dollars in 24 short hours! I will let you know how it goes! Hang in there, life gets funnier everyday!

1 comment: