Search This Blog

Friday, May 7, 2010

The Big Intersection of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of my Happiness...

I live in a little town, that has this big ass intersection. We are talking about 52 years of life all in one stop sign, looking left, right, across, which way to go? If you are like me you always knew which way to go. The way my Mom, Dad, Grandmother, Brother, Husband or Friend told me to.....It would be fine. A person doesn't have to question his or her direction if someone else is calling the shots or be responsible for the outcome. And for me I am guessing the later fit my personality the best.

But this year I ran into an intersection I just could not navigate. On ramps, cloverleafs, Off ramps, Detours and Roadblocks. There had to be another way to make my way down the road of life? Every time I got close to the intersection, I put on the brakes and said "not yet, I am not ready". And then my Dad died. Then I tried again thinking I could get alittle farther. My Mom thought she wanted to drive and that was just not happening. I was literally driving back and forth on the same road day after day trying to find my OWN way in life.

January came and the roads were icy and snowy and hard to drive on . No one wants me to drive on those kind of roads. By the end of January I put away my childlike fears of that intersection, strapped on those chains and flew as fast as I could through the snow and ice to get to my Grandmothers. She passed away 2 hours later in my arms. Just think, if I had listened to all of my fears and everyone telling me to "Be careful"? I would have missed one of the most important moments in my OWN life.

This woman was my pillar of strength, one of the true loves of my life, and the one person in my life that loved me unconditionally ALL of my life. What an honor to be there with her. So I take her strength home and even in my loneliness and despair of losing her, I have love.

As the months have passed, the pain has eased, but my love for her has not. Nor the courage that I got from her. Situations that I have lived with for years that were so unacceptable to me and my morals and beliefs became so painful that it was time to end them. So when I got to THAT intersection, I said "yes you can go through the road, but you can never come back".

Now when I pull out on to the road of life, I smile. My little green bug takes me down the road and I know I will make it and I can decide each and every turn I want to make......

No comments:

Post a Comment