Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

When are you too OLD to get a TATTOO?

Try picturing your Grandmother's ankle or shoulder with a nice rosebud or butterfly tattooed on it? Does this gross you out or do you smile fondly? My Grandmother passed away this year at 95 and until the last year was a real go-getter.  She was outspoken about politics, racism, laziness, horse racing and aging.  I am guessing that she never had a tattoo, but she may have and never showed me.  It may have been a private personal issue.  I could see her having a race horse that she owned in her younger days, put in a small secluded spot on her back? Or her husbands name? I hate to say it, but knowing her, it was probably one of her dogs names.  She always liked dogs more than people.  It probably says "Sue Ellen" or "Hey You" and she would wear it proudly.

So why is it when a woman of my particular age, (53) says that she is thinking of a small tattoo with JUST LETTERS, my sons think I am getting full sleeves of dancing naked men?  How about a nice flower? The Om symbol? 

Reading a note a friend put on facebook, she commented on a tattoo that she had been thinking about, her grown daughter's reply was shock before she even saw it!  My friend wanted to put "mi vida loca" or my crazy life which I thought was great.  This woman is making a new start in her life and is doing wonderfully and maybe wants to celebrate it?

Me? My Tattoo? I want "GWAMA"  WHY?  Because I made it? It is my crowning achievement.  I lived long enough to be a Grandmother!  I am so proud and so blessed to be alive after a diagnosis's of cancer 4 1/2 years ago.  For me, when I started down this road I didn't believe...NOW I do....I can live forever with hope.  And the word "GWAMA"  represents my hope for the future and my joy for the present.  I don't care if my skin is wrinkled and freckled, I am getting this tattooed!

No comments:

Post a Comment